Bowen Treatment Guidance Notes
Before you book a Bowen Treatment with Untie The String Natural Healing please read the following notes and get back to me with further questions if you wish.
Before the treatment
- Please wear underwear and a loose T-shirt and thin sports trousers or shorts during the treatment. You may change into these clothes after the initial consultation.
- At the first session I will fill out a confidential client record form, which I will send to you in advance so that you know what to expect. On the subsequent sessions I will begin with a short consultation on any changes and any new problems or injuries that have appeared.
- In the case of children less than 16 years old, the parent’s or guardian’s signature is required and the parent/guardian must be present throughout the treatment.
After the treatment
- On the day of your treatment, please get up and move for a few paces every 15-30 minutes once the treatment is finished. However, if you are lying down, there is no need to get up and move around every 30 minutes.
- It is important to walk for at least 15 minutes a day, more if possible after Bowen treatments. Your normal exercise regime should be acceptable. However, unusually strenuous exercise is to be avoided for 2-4 days after the treatment. I may ask you to do specific exercises between visits.
- You will need to drink water to help the process flushing of toxins from the body, aiming for 5 or more glasses of water a day and reduce or avoid coffee and alcohol and other stimulating substances.
- Always move carefully and keep your back protected and spine straight when picking something up. Sit down to put on shoes, and socks or clothing and avoid crossing legs while sitting. Put both feet on the floor at the same time with equal weight when getting in and out of your car or your bed or off the treatment table.
- After the TMJ procedure, the gradual jaw re alignment takes time to complete, so do avoid biting hard on apples, nuts or confectionary like toffee for 2-4 days. Also, where possible, avoid large yawns.
- Other forms of manipulation, such as massage, chiropractic, physiotherapy, osteopathy, acupuncture and kinesiology will negate the effect of Bowen Therapy during the week after the treatment. So, if you have booked 3 treatments, then do not have any other treatments in that 3 week period.
- Avoid excessive heat or cold on the areas that have been treated for 1 week after treatment. For example, heat pads, electric blankets, hot baths or standing under the shower with hot water running on the neck will negate the effects of a Bowen Treatment.
- Painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs can be taken as prescribed by your doctor. Be aware that the healing process may result in reactions such as hot and cold flushes, emotional releases, headaches and body aches after treatment. These reactions are a positive sign that the healing process is working.
- I hope you find this information useful and I look forward to seeing you at your first treatment. If you have any questions relating to Bowen Therapy or these guidance notes, please feel free to contact me and I will do my best to answer them.